Tuesday 1 March 2011

I don't believe in absolutes any more...

Sometimes the Manics just get it right. A few of their recent songs have been a bit wishy-washy (IMNSHO), but this latest opening line really hits the mark.

As we get older, do we let more grey into our lives - both literally and metaphorically? I've been watching "Mistresses" recently, and find the way I respond to the characters fascinating: I'm hardly spoiling the series when I tell you there's a lot of infidelity (the clue's in the title), and yet, I find the women endearing.

Do we judge our friends? Should we? If they do something wrong, do we stop shy of calling them on it (judge not lest ye be judged)? Or would we be better friends, in fact, if we did?

It's a mighty fine line to tread, but I'd wager the best friends are the ones who can. We should let our friends know that we accept the grey that comes with being human (after all, if we can accept theirs, they can accept ours when next we stumble. And it's never as far away as we hope.) We should show them what friendship's really about: being someone to turn to in good times and bad. And we should give them the freedom to say what we should all better echo the older and greyer we get: the Manics' next line...

"...I'm quite prepared to admit I was wrong."

No comments:

Post a Comment