Sunday 13 November 2011

Tryin' to make some sense of it all

...but I can see it makes no sense at all.

Do we set about our own chain reactions?

Do we instigate butterfly effects each day,
noticing a few,
but oblivious to
the million more ripples we're causing?

Or does the great grandfather clock of time
always know what it will bring
with each pendulum swing
and leave us to ride the momentum?

I don't quite know what to do with it all. Negotiating my now appendix-less darling husband down a steep downhill slope yesterday, a friend told me that it's actually really hard to tip someone out of a wheelchair. Are we all tentatively pushing our own metaphorical wheelchairs, careful not to upset the balance of the universe, when in fact our influence on cosmic events is tantamount to a whisper in a whirlwind?

No, I can't quite believe that. Individuals can change the world. Individuals should change the world.

I've had my own world views shifted this year (and I don't just mean that I flew round the back of the map - turns out you don't fall off the right-hand side, folks), and while it's terribly unfamiliar and therefore highly uncomfortable, it would be wrong to reverse it. As I've said elsewhere, change is great so long as you're the one causing it. But sometimes it leads us down awkward paths. Sometimes it completely challenges our life philosophies, as Hamlet sought to warn Horatio. Sometimes it even makes our friends attempt to write poetry. :)

So where are we landing today, dear reader? I truly don't know. Mostly my endings practically type themselves, but not this time. Earlier this month, I declared on Facebook that I was feeling at one with the stormy Sydney weather, stating that things just didn't feel right. There was something rotten in the state of Denmark, indeed. Quite literally. New Year, new start? Quite possibly.

But for now, I'm off to sleep. Perchance to dream...


No comments:

Post a Comment